subtitle

just like Visa--I'm everywhere you want to be!

Monday, May 28, 2012

No really. You're reading this?!

Hello there readers and cherished friends! I'd almost forgotten about this blog blip in my life until very recently. Blogs are supposed to be like Internet diaries, no? Except we don't keep them in our underwear drawer with a lock and key on them...because we want you to read what we think (otherwise we'd have a diary in the underwear drawer...we've been over that). Anyway, recently a few people have actually mentioned reading my blog and although I was unaware that people actually read this, I was shocked to find I actually kind of missed chronicling my life on here.

So, without looking at my last time stamp, I am going to guess its been over a year since my last post. And in that frame, I've been up, I've been down, and I've been so damned lost with you not around. And now I'm singing Train lyrics. I will interject randomly here and say that the new Train album is pretty awesome!

But what you really wanna know if you're still following me here, is what am I doing with my life?

Seasons change, and so do things in life. In January of 2011, my traveling job and I parted ways. Sometimes life can surprise you and change with the snap of a finger, and even if we don't understand or like it at the moment, it makes sense down the road.

I searched for jobs for awhile, and was struggling with either having too high of an education, or not enough real world experience. And it's a downer out there, when a great job that you're more than qualified for, gets passed on to someone else because they happen to be already working within the company. Let's not forget its about who you know and not what you know.

But, at a moment where I thought I couldn't get any lower, and my bank account was basically laughing at me, a light in the darkness appeared.

And when you least expect it, something amazing happens. And in that moment, I got a job. Sure, when I began the new journey, it was a simple assistant-like position. And to be honest, I find intense relief in just being able to pay my bills and be responsible. But then the job somehow changed me.

And now I'm using that hard-earned College degree! In a place where I enjoy going to work. In a place where I feel like my job matters. In a place where I feel like -I- matter.

I almost can't believe it. I've been there for over a year now, and in that time I've gotten to travel to Las Vegas, New York City, and Philadelphia. There is a whole world out there, and suddenly it doesn't seem so bad that one door closed. Because this one opened.

Not everything can be the best in life. And we aren't always going to like the answers or outcomes of events. But it's our job to make the best of each moment regardless. And that's what I'm trying to do.

On the eve of my next business trip to Las Vegas, I think back to my life two years ago. And then I think back five years. And even though I'm not where I thought I would be in either of those scenarios, I realize I am one thing: happy.

I get to wake up in the morning and breathe life. I have the use of my hands and feet. I don't have to worry about when my next meal will come or where I'll sleep that night.

And even if I didn't have a kick butt job like I do now, I like to think I'd still be happy. Because I'm alive.

You see we don't take enough time to appreciate that simple idea. And I'm more than guilty of that. I've spent time focusing on money, or relationships, or material things. And even though it's nice to have all of that...that isn't what makes me or defines me at the end of the day. At least, I hope it doesn't.

So to answer the question "where in the world is Mel!?" I'm here. And I'm happy.

I can't regret any moment in my life. Because it got me to where I am right now, and ultimately where I will be next. All that I know is I'm happy. And I hope you are, too.

Ten years ago I made a "life plan" on where I pictured myself and where I would be. And even though I haven't reach more than 20% of that plan, I'm making new plans as I go.

So that's where I am right now, friends. On the corner of happiness and greatness. Thanks for reading this, if you still are. I can't promise I'll be updating weekly, or monthly, but I do promise I will try, if you're willing to meet me here.

xs + os

Mel

2 comments:

  1. Oh Melsy, *tear*. I'm ever so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A life plan is like a living thing - it changes with the times. What you know now is completely different than what you knew 10 years ago. Adjust your life plan - make it work. Be happy with it. I'm just glad to see you update!

    ReplyDelete